Last updated: Apr-17-2019

4/18/2019 11:06:47 AM
Show Printable Version Download Plain Text
Fund Library Q&A
Your questions about financial planning, investments, and portfolio management answered by an industry expert

By Robyn K. Thompson  | Thursday, April 11, 2019

Are you taking all the tax deductions and tax credits you’re entitled to? Maybe not, because you may not know whether a particular deduction or credit applies to you. That’s not surprising, because there are nearly 100 personal tax deductions and credits available, and not all apply to everyone, or do so in only very limited circumstances. And many are often overlooked, even if they do apply. Here’s a rundown of the most commonly missed credits and deductions. Consult with your tax preparer to see if they apply to you.

Employment expenses. You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income, but only if you were required to pay expenses under the terms of your contract, did not receive an allowance for them, or if an allowance was included in your income. This deduction typically will not apply to most employees, and you cannot deduct the cost of travel to and from work or any other expenses, including tools and clothing. In addition, you can deduct any legal fees paid to collect salary or wages.

Home Buyer’s Amount. You can claim $5,000 for the purchase of a qualifying home in 2018 if you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home and you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year you bought the home or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer). The maximum tax savings generated by the non-refundable tax credit will be up to $750 (that is, $5,000 x 15%). This is also available to existing homeowners who qualify for the Disability Tax Credit and who purchase a more accessible home.

Medical expense deductions. You may claim only eligible medical expenses if you or your spouse or common-law partner paid for the medical expenses in any 12-month period ending in 2018 and did not claim them in 2017. Generally, you can claim all amounts paid, even if they were not paid in Canada. You can find a list of common medical expenses at the CRA website.

Canada Caregiver Amount. This tax credit is available to those caring for a dependent relative. If the relative is over 18, the credit is $6,986 minus any net income above the $16,405 threshold for the 2018 tax year. The credit will be zero if the dependant’s income is $23,391 or more. For dependants under the age of 18, the credit is $2,182, but is not reduced by income.

Annual union, professional, and other dues. This one is often overlooked because the amounts may be withheld from your pay or may be paid as an automatic withdrawal. But they can add up. Initiation fees, licences, special assessments, or charges for anything other than the organization's ordinary operating costs do not count as annual membership dues. Neither do pension plan premiums, even though they may be shown on your annual slips as dues.

Moving expenses. You can claim eligible moving expenses if you moved to a new location for employment or business purposes, or you moved to attend college or university as a full-time student. To be eligible for the deduction, your new home must be at least 40 kilometres (by the shortest usual public route) closer to your new work or school than you were before.

Interest on student loans. Interest paid on your student loan in 2018 or the previous five years may be claimed as a credit by you or a related person. If you have no tax payable for the year, you can carry the interest forward for five years and claim it when you do have tax payable.

Childcare expenses are deductible from income where one or both parents are working or where one spouse is attending school for all or part of the tax year. Childcare expenses can include daycare fees, boarding school, hockey school, or summer camp fees. The maximum you’re allowed to claim under the childcare deduction in 2018 is $8,000 for each child under age six at the end of the year, and $5,000 for each child over seven and under age 16. The deductions cannot exceed two thirds of your earned income.

Legal fees. Certain kinds of legal fees can be claimed. These include fees paid to respond to or object to or appeal a CRA assessment, legal fees paid to collect a retiring allowance or pension benefit, and fees incurred to try to make child support payments non-taxable. You cannot claim fees you paid to get a separation, divorce, or establish custody of or visitation arrangements for a child.

Climate Action Incentive (CAI) Payment. This is a payment designed to offset the federal carbon tax in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and New Brunswick. It consists of a basic amount and a 10% supplement for residents of small and rural communities. Only one person per family (you or your spouse or common-law partner) can claim the CAI payment.

You can claim the CAI payment if on Dec. 31, 2018, you lived in one of the four provinces it applies to, and you were over the age of 18. If you were younger than 18, you can claim the CAI if you were married or lived common law, or were a parent living with your child.

As always, each person’s tax situation differs, and not everyone can claim every deduction or credit. See your financial advisor for more information on which deductions and credits you may be able to use to cut your tax bill.

Robyn Thompson, CFP, CIM, FCSI, is the founder of Castlemark Wealth Management, a boutique financial advisory firm specializing in wealth management for high net worth individuals and families. Contact her directly by phone at 416-828-7159, or by email at for a confidential planning consultation.

Notes and Disclaimer

© 2019 by the Fund Library. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part by any means without prior written permission is prohibited.

The foregoing is for general information purposes only and is the opinion of the writer. Securities mentioned are illustrative only and carry risk of loss. No guarantee of investment performance is made or implied. It is not intended to provide specific personalized advice including, without limitation, investment, financial, legal, accounting or tax advice. Please contact the author to discuss your particular circumstances.

Find a Stock

(Leave blank for all)
Symbol   Name
Forgot your password?
Register now
Tech Support
For general inquiries, please email the Librarian.
Home |  Features |  Member Services |  Tools |  Funds |  About Us
For any questions or problems with this site, please contact the Librarian.
Page ID: 20:80:1074:00016944:1/24/2019:4:20:39 PM Duration of this visit: 0 sec.