Last updated: Jun-29-2016

Welcome to the Fund Library!
What's new at the Fund Library
A unique forum for articles, insight, and opinion from Canada’s leading money managers and investment professionals.
Recently added:The first $100 billion is the hardest
News, views and advice on markets, investments, and wealth management.
Recently added:Som Seif: Should our outlook for Canada change?
Check here for the annual best of the best of Canadian funds.
Check here for current monthly
A-Grade funds.

Latest articles in the Fund Library

By Olev Edur | Thursday, June 30, 2016


“It’s a very simple process,” says Brian Berghuis , portfolio manager at T. Rowe Price in Baltimore, Maryland, and lead manager of the TD U.S. Mid-Cap Growth Fund, in speaking about the stock selection process that has seen the fund maintain top-tier performance since its inception in 1993: Most recently, 3-, 5-, and 10-year average annual compound returns through the end of May of 21.0%, 16.8%, and 10.3% respectively. And that performance yielded a monthly FundGrade™ A-grade and the annual FundGrade A+™ Award for 2015.


By Dave Paterson | Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Before the U.K.’s Brexit referendum yielded a 52% majority vote for leaving the European Union, there had been rumblings that the U.S. Federal Reserve would be moving rates higher in the next little while. That appears to be on hold now until the dust settles. Either way, rates in Canada don’t appear to be going anywhere either. That being the case, the high-quality, actively managed PH&N Total Return Bond Fund remains one of my favorites in the category.


By Doug Nelson | Tuesday, June 28, 2016

With the growing popularity of so-called “robo-advisors” and “robo-portfolios,” I’m starting to see history repeat itself. So I thought I’d take a closer look at what’s behind the evolution of this new portfolio product, and try to answer the question: “Is this really anything new and will it perform any better than past automated portfolio solutions”?


By Gordon Pape | Monday, June 27, 2016


It’s hardly surprising that in turbulent times such as these (the latest manifestation of which is the U.K.’s Brexit referendum) people are looking for some degree of certainty. As private sector pension plans lurch towards extinction, people want reassurance that the money they are saving for retirement in RRSPs and TFSAs will generate the income they need to live on.


By Fund Library News Wire | Friday, June 24, 2016

By Mike Keerma

Traders hit the sell button hard on Friday, following a U.K. referendum on Thursday that saw Brits vote 52% in favor of leaving the European Union compared with 48% who voted to remain. The results apparently took markets by surprise, leading to Friday’s risk-repricing frenzy and a steep one-day selloff not seen since the financial crisis of 2008. For the week, however, Toronto’s benchmark S&P/TSX Composite Index broke even, while the U.S. blue-chip S&P 500 Composite Index dropped -1.6%. London’s FTSE 100 Index went countertrend and gained 2% on the week. On Friday, gold surged 4.6% as a direct beneficiary of the global flight to safety, but leaving it ahead only 1.5% for the week. Crude oil, the other currently newsy commodity, fell -5% on Friday, putting it -1.0% underwater for the week.


More recent articles

By Robyn K. Thompson | Friday, June 24, 2016
By Fund Library News Wire | Thursday, June 23, 2016
By Tyler Mordy | Thursday, June 23, 2016
By Dave Paterson | Wednesday, June 22, 2016
By Brian Bridger | Tuesday, June 21, 2016
By Fund Library News Wire | Monday, June 20, 2016
By Fund Library News Wire | Friday, June 17, 2016
By Robyn K. Thompson | Friday, June 17, 2016
By Fund Library News Wire | Thursday, June 16, 2016
By Dave Paterson | Wednesday, June 15, 2016
  • Article Archive
    Find a Stock

    (Leave blank for all)
    Symbol   Name
    Forgot your password?
    Register now
    Tech Support
    For general inquiries, please email the Librarian.
    Home |  Features |  Member Services |  Tools |  Funds |  About Us
    For any questions or problems with this site, please contact the Librarian.
    Page ID: 10:00:0000:00000000:1/27/2016:10:03:25 AM Duration of this visit: 0 sec.